Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saturday Pancakes

Today is Saturday. That means sleeping in until 10:30, staying in your pjs, and eating pancakes. Well at least for me it does...

Today I woke up craving blueberry pancakes. Yes, not just regular pancakes, blueberry pancakes. So I turned to the only clean-eating blog I thought I needed, because it has EVERYTHING. But I was sad to discover it did not have everything; it lacked a recipe for blueberry pancakes. So, thanks to Google, I now have another fall back blog that will hopefully fill in the blanks and give me healthy recipes for EVERYTHING. Including a blueberry pancake recipe I plan to make very frequently.

Clean Eating Chelsey is a vegetarian and also makes her recipes gluten-free. But the recipe I am about to post has been altered to comply to my lack of healthy ingredients (find the original recipe here).  My high hopes were fulfilled despite the recipe change. I topped one with banana slices and poured a tiny bit of maple syrup over another one. Both were good, but I ate the last one plain and that was tasty too, so feel free to experiment or eat plain!

Blueberry Pancakes
adapted from Clean Eating Chelsey
(One delicious serving)

Ingredients 
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs ground flax seed
3 Tbs warm water
1 and 1/2 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
3 Tbs milk
1/3 cup blueberries

Directions
Step 1- Prepare a "flax egg" by mixing 1 Tbs ground flax seed with 3 Tbs warm water band letting it sit for 5 min while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Step 2- Mix together flour, oats, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
Step 3- Add wet ingredients, including the prepared flax mixture
Step 4- Mix wet ingredients until combined, then fold in blueberries
Step 5- Pour equal portions of pancake batter on a greased griddle at medium heat
Step 6- Wait until pancakes are bubbly on the outside then flip and allow to cook through.
Step 7- Top with your favorite fruit of syrup and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment