Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

fear.

I have never been more aware of my introvertedness than on a college campus. As much as I love being surrounded by my friends all the time, I often feel worn out and need to find space to recharge on my own. Although this can feel like a weakness, I come alive in my alone time. This is when my creativity thrives and I feel most comfortable.

However, I cannot be alone all the time (nor do I want to be) and these are the times when being an introvert petrifies me. I walk as fast as I can to my classes so no one will see me and I won't have to go through the awkward decisions of whether to say hi or just keep walking. Then I get to my class as late as possible to avoid having to make small talk before it starts. The rest of  the class I try to learn, but am continually being drained of the energy it takes to be surrounded by people I don't really know.

I worry others will think I am antisocial and rude. I watch my extrovert friends light up the room when they enter as I shrink back into the corner to observe the busyness.

 I know I am not the only one who struggles through large-group social situations, longing for when we can head back to the safety of our own spaces. Be encouraged introvert companions! God made us this way for a glorious reason. We play a part in the work of the church and he has a plan to use us in a way that makes the most of our individual gifts.

Your introverted personality is part of that plan, but fear is not

Fear does not come from God and Christ died on the cross to redeem us from its bondage. 

For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" -- Romans 8:14-15

This does not mean you have to be comfortable and confident in all situations. You may not be wired that way. You have weaknesses. Being surrounded by strangers might never be easy for you or be a place where you will thrive. But don't let your weaknesses stifle your strengths and become crippling. Do not fear them. 

Christ has restored you from all your fear and has covered your weakness. Embrace the freedom he gives you so you can come alive to who he created you to be: a brave child of God who interacts with the world in a way that is all your own and who has something unique and important to offer.


What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
--Romans 8:31-39



No comments:

Post a Comment